Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chinese Chicken Salad

After a rather indulgent December, a couple of us were feeling the need for some hearty main-dish salads around here. It just so happened that I had everything but a head of napa cabbage on hand to throw this one together tonight. I'd forgotten how completely delicious and easy it is! The original recipe came from our friend Lacey who delivered it to us after Emma was born. Ironically, she was the salad's biggest fan tonight, dishing up sevenths and even eighths - a first for any of my kids which ordinarily rarely touch salad! I think it was the sweet dressing that won her over. It probably helped that she just received a handmade bunny blanket and I told her bunnies like cabbage....

I made a couple of minor adaptions to the recipe and next time I think I'll throw in a dash or two of sesame oil for a more savory flavor but I was all out tonight. I served the salad with Nutmeg and Fresh Black Pepper Popovers (totally random and not Chinese whatsoever but I've had the recipe lying around waiting to be tried for ages and an all-salad dinner seemed like the perfect opportunity...) The whole meal was a hit with everyone. Enjoy!

Chinese Chicken Salad
 
Dressing:
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Topping:
2 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 package dried ramen noodles, crushed

Salad:
1 head napa cabbage, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
3 mandarin oranges, peeled and broken into segments
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I used rotisserie from a meal earlier this week)
2 Tablespoon sesame seeds

To prepare dressing, combine ingredients (sugar through soy sauce) in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool.

To prepare topping, melt butter over medium high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add almonds, sunflower seeds and ramen and saute until golden brown.

To prepare salad, combine cabbage, green onions, oranges and chicken in a large bowl. Add topping and toss with dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

posted by kelsie